Wild Rice and Quinoa Stuffing
(found on CarpeSeason.com. I tweaked to meet my needs)
1/2 c. uncooked quinoa (for 1 c. cooked)
1/2 c. uncooked wild rice (for 1 1/2 c. cooked)
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 large onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1/2 c. of sliced mushrooms
1 medium tart apple, cored and diced
3/4 tsp. oregano
1/2 tbsp of minced garlic
1/2 tsp. sage
3/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 c. orange cranberries (Trader Joes) or 1 c. of fresh cranberries cooked down
1/2 c. pine nuts, toasted
zest of half a lemon
zest of orange
1/4 c. water
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook Quinoa and Rice and set aside
2. Toast your pine nuts - place them in a small pan over medium heat. Stir the nuts almost constantly until they're golden brown. Remove and set aside.
3. Prep your onion, mushrooms, celery and apples.
4. In a large saute pan, heat up 1-2 tbsp of olive oil (I used 1 tbsp of truffle oil and one regular) and minced garlic. Add the onions, celery and mushrooms and saute for about 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, add in your apple slices, saute for another 3 minutes
5. Lower the heat to medium-low, and add in your seasonings. Cook for another minute until mixture is quite fragrant. Add in the cranberries, toasted pinenuts, lemon and orange zest and stir to combine.
6. Mix in the cooked quinoa, cooked wild rice and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7, Preheat oven to 375*. Transfer the mixture to a GREASED 8x8" pan.
8. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.