Saturday, December 29, 2012

Crusing as a Fit Girl (in progress)

This week, my family went on our annual winter cruise. I seem to be on a new "diet" every year on the cruise and ass dieting to food allergies (wheat/gluten), traveling can be an emotional mess. This year was different; I'm not on a diet. I wasn't counting calories or measuring my food. I had a plan (to use 1-2 shakes a day and get active every day. I also wanted to refrain from wheat/gluten, soy, dairy, sugar and anything processed) and tried to stick to it. I had some slip-ups and didn't eat my best. I indulged in sugar a few nights, didn't get a real workout in one day and certainly didn't get my shakes in like I would've liked. With that said, I lived a healthy lifestyle while traveling. Fit Girl Studio and Arbonne gave me the tools this year to make healthy choices and still have a good time.

I did beat myself up a bit. But, it was the day after indulging in sugar (big time) and not getting a workout in. I had to remind myself of that and remind myself that it just goes to show how far I've come... And what clean eating and keeping active can do for you!
I kept a very detailed log of my eating and workouts in order to keep myself accountable but also to show others that you can eat clean while traveling (even if its on a cruise with buffets, drinking and endless sweets all around).

After my week of living, and some indulgences- I'm ready to kick my butt into gear. I still have New Year's Eve and I don't go back home to Chicago for another 6 days- but I'm certainly ready to get back into my routine! ... And get some detox juice and a nice long run in!

Monday- December 24

930 Egg white omm- apple- almonds

1230- salad w mahi and shrimp (protein) and olive oil (fat)and mango(carbs)


5- protein and super greens
630-2 eggplant sushi rolls

830-9--Melon and Prosciutto, gluten free pasta (barely ate any) and seafood, polenta and veggies and berries.

Workout: 2+ mile walk and 25 mins of arms, squats on the bosu and barre point exercises.

Tuesday - December 25

930-egg whites with spinach and onions. 2 pieces of bacon (hey- I had to live! I don't even usually eat pork but I was craving it!) and an apple with peanut butter and walnuts. I had a fit chew after to help curb any temptations of eating extra (unnecessary junk) food that was sitting on the table.

1:30- 4 pieces of sushi (Crab and avocado- gluten free), small Mongolian beef salad (only ate half of the meat. Salad dressing on the side. It was made with honey, orange and olive oil) and raspberries.

4:30- protein shake with super greens

8:30- two oysters with steamed spinach, shrimp cocktail (5 small shrimp), 6 jumbo shrimp with garlic sauce,steamed veggies and a quarter cup of sweet potatoes plain. Dessert: berries and green tea.

Workout: morning spin class (40 mins) in the afternoon, i did my holiday hottie workout and weights


Wednesday - December 26

9:30am- chocolate protein shake with super greens (dehydrated greens in powder form from Trader Joes)

11:00am- 100 calorie pack of almonds and walnuts.

12:00- fresh coconut water after a great workout on the beach!

3:00pm - (such a long gap in eating! Waited until I got back to the ship to eat.) salad with beans, beets, grilled mushrooms and onions, broccoli and a tiny bit of steamed chicken. Apple and fit chew after.

7:00- 3 pieces crab/avocado roll

8:30pm-shrimp, carrots, broccoli and berries

Workouts:
morning workout- 20 min HIIT with weights
Afternoon workout- i had my workout gear with me so i changes out of my bathing suit and did 20 min run on the beach (barefoot in the water is super challenging!) with two stops for squats and push-ups. Also got in a nice 20 minute walk on the beach.
Post-workout with my coconut water (REAL coconut water!) on the beach in Grand Cayman


Thursday - December 27

(We had an early wake up call for a zip lining and tubing tour in Jamaica and I didn't plan ahead to workout or eat early)

8:00-green apple and almonds

12:00pm- 100 cal pack of almonds and walnuts

1:30pm- banana

3:30pm-6oz chicken, lettuce, mushrooms and onions (grilled) and (total mistake) three fork-fulls of tuna salad (bad because it was mayo/dairy loaded).

7:00-10:00 pm-
We went to the special steakhouse tonight...
French onion soup( dairy and gluten free with just onions and broth.
Salad- spinach, a few crumbles of fresh bacon, avocado, lemon and olive oil.
Surf and turf- 3oz filet and 3 oz Chilean sea bass with steamed spinach
Dessert- total indulgence! I asked if the chef could make SOMETHING other than berries-- they brought me a plate with grilled peaches, two chocolate covered strawberries and a chocolate fudge type dish with berries in it (all dairy and gluten free). I was in heaven and even though I have been saving dessert for the last night ( I preorder my food and already ordered it for tomorrow) and have certainly been avoiding all sugar for nearly two months-- I loved it. Sweets are heavenly- it's the truth.

*I've decided that blueberries are one of my all time favorite fruits!

Workout: no workout. I considered all of the paddling that I did on the rapid tubing tour and our mini hike my workout. I don't think anyone in the family worked out today.

Friday- December 28
 

9:30am- egg white omelette with veggies- green apple

11:30am- green apple with peanut butter

12:45pm- salad with Mongolian dressing (made to order - honey, olive oil and orange)
-Halibut and a few slices zucchini
-berries (1cup of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries)

2:45pm- 3 slices of pineapple (there was a huge chocolate extravaganza bar and fondue and its the best I could do to curb my craving)

**felt extremely "fat" (yes, I have fat days, too!) lethargic and had a headache this afternoon. I know it's the sugar that I've been eating and I can SEE and FEEL the difference when I don't have it! I also know that I've eat so much food (not "bad" but the sheer amount of food) and I'm not used to it.

8:30pm-
-small portobello appetizer
- iceberg lettuce with 6 small shrimp, olive oil and lemon juice
- broccoli and carrots ( had eggplant/zucchini "Parmesan"-gluten and dairy free- but it was tasteless so I didn't eat it)
Dessert- what I waited for my whole trip: flourless chocolate cake with berries (gluten and dairy free- I think the chef used soy milk). I was in heaven and also thankful that I didn't order it my first night or I would've wanted it every day! I did leave a few bites on my plate. I did it to kinda prove to myself that I could resist temptation ;)


Workout: 30 min HIIT with weights added and 15 minutes on the stairclimber. I felt so much better after a nice workout. It reminded me that I'm doing alright and that I'm on the right track. I'm a fit girl (in progress) in a fat-laden world and I've truly made huge strides in my lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment