Monday, December 17, 2012

Creamy (no-mayo) tuna salad! (gluten, dairy and soy free)



I was searching for a clean meal that didn't involve me making chicken or thawing some of my shrimp. I went to: TUNA! But, if you're like me- growing up with tuna meant that it was smothered in mayo (yes, mom- you did use light or fat-free...) and if it was in a salad, I put ranch dressing on top of it. I haven't done THAT in a LONG time. Two things helped me to come up with this recipe:

1. Forty-Carrots at Bloomingdales has a delicious no-mayo tuna (although, I'm not sure what they use in it! I know it's gluten free and they use lemon).
2. I kept hearing a commercial about the goodness that we call avocados and the person was discussing making creamy tuna salad with avocados for lunch.

When I searched for a recipe, I couldn't find something that I liked. Therefore, I marched to my kitchen and dug out what I had and mixed up this flavorful Creamy (no-mayo) Tuna Salad:

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 ripe avocado
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil (I used garlic olive oil)
  • 1 can of tuna (Try looking for low/no sodium)
  • 1 lemon wedge (I used my True Lemon packet by True Citrus)
  • Pepper
  • Basil
  • Any other toppings to put inside your tuna (ideas: onions, celery, mushrooms)
Directions:

  • Mix all ingredients together.
  •  I ALWAYS let my tuna salad sit in the fridge for a half hour-hour before eating it. I feel like it helps the flavors come together (but maybe that's just me)
  • Set tuna atop a bed of spinach lettuce
  • Add your favorite nuts
  • Enjoy a CLEAN tuna salad. Yum-o! 
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment