Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Paleo Chocolate Banana Bread!

A few weeks ago, while scrolling down my timeline on Twitter, I saw someone mention that they had made Paleo french toast. My first thought, "You did WHAT?!?!" I messaged her and she said that she made Paleo banana bread from Civilized Caveman. I went to the site but at the time I didn't have all of the ingredients. Today, however, I had 3 massive (overly-ripe) bananas sitting on my counter and had the day off. Cue: smells of freshly baked banana bread!

I worked with the original recipe from Civilized Caveman but added a few of my own things.

Paleo Chocolate Banana Bread 


Ingredients:
  • 3 Large bananas or 4 regular sized bananas
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup almond butter (or any nut butter, i.e. macadamia, pecan, etc) note: I used homemade cocoa almond butter (I heated mine up to melt it just a bit)
  • 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter or coconut oil, melted (I used coconut oil)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour (I'm always a bit leery on using coconut oil due to past experience. I used just under a 1/2 a cup)
  • 1/4 cup of walnuts (optional)
  • 3 tablespoons of cocoa nibs (optional. I cut up 4 squares of a Lindt 80% dark cocoa bar)
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (I eyeballed it)
  • pinch of sea salt
Directions:

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degree 
  2. Combine ALL ingredients and mix well with a handheld mixer.
  3. Grease a metal loaf pan with grass fed butter or coconut oil.
  4. Pour in your batter and spread it evenly throughout
  5. Place in your preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes. Check with a knife or toothpick to make sure that the center is still moist.
  6. Remove from oven and flip your bread out onto a cooling rack
  7. Enjoy!



Notes: I have a BRAND new oven. With that said, you may want to alter your timing accordingly (older ovens you might want to bake a bit longer).
Muffin timing: I made a few muffins (regular sized) and they were ready in about 25 minutes.
Bread timing in a metal loaf pan: Check on it at 35 minutes as the original posting suggested- it was certainly not ready. It was ready in about 50-55 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment