Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sloppy Jills Recipe (Paleo Sloppy Joes)


Most AMAZING meal EVER!

I never did like regular "sloppy joes" BUT- this is PHENOMENAL! It's SO GOOD that we shall call it Sloppy Jills! ...girls always do things better ;)


Ingredients
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1lb of grass fed beef
1/4 cup of chopped mushrooms
1/2 of an avocado cubed (optional)
1/4 cup of diced onions

Dry ingredients/Spices:
1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1/4 teaspoon of chili powder


Wet ingredients:
4 tablespoons of tomato paste (no salt added)
8 ounces of organic tomato sauce (no salt added)
2 tablespoons of organic ketchup (optional)

1 tablespoon of raw honey
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar

Directions:
  • Start by heating the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
  • Add in ground beef, and cook until it has started to brown. 
  • Add your onions and mushrooms and cook until the meat looks like it is about done.
  • Add the remainder of the ingredients (saving the avocado for last) and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
  • Either add avocado at the end and let simmer or simply top your Sloppy Jills with it after.


In my house, I'm the only one who eats Paleo or even gluten free (I'm allergic to wheat/gluten and sensitive to dairy). With that said, I ate my Sloppy Jills over a bed of lettuce and a side of mashed cauliflower. However, for my husband- I made him a grilled Sloppy Jill sandwich on sourdough with melted Swiss cheese. It looked like pure heaven (Even if if would be immediately sick if I ate it...). Either way, you can't go wrong!


2 comments:

  1. Holy Crap! This was excellent!
    I made a few mods because I like a lot cayenne and cumin, and I am also on the SCD diet. But I was not expecting how much the coconut oil enhanced the meat!
    I actually had some almond flour bread. I toasted them and used them to sop up all that delicious flavor.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe too! I've made it a few times now.

    I double the onions and mushrooms, use 1 tsp honey rather than 1 tbsp (too sweet), add julienned sun-dried tomatoes (I use the ones packed in olive oil and pat them dry before slicing), and I serve it atop Julian Bakery's almond Paleo Bread. I think I'll try a little cayenne next time, too.

    Thank you for such an awesome recipe! Keep 'em coming!!!

    ReplyDelete